Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Danish Pastry House


It’s about damn time. I have been going to this place for three years. It is a great all purpose neighborhood café. This place is memorable, and no matter what I order, I always make a note of something else to try on my next visit. When my mom visits from the West Coast, her first words after stumbling off the red eye are often, “Can we just go back to that little café I like…” And then we drive to the corner of Winthrop and Boston Ave and get a perfectly satisfying meal, snack, coffee or treat.

On this particular trip, I was in the mood for something sweet, and I wanted to try something that was unique to this establishment, something Danish! Before today, if you put a gun to my head and asked me to describe what makes a Danish Pastry Danish, I would be speechless.

Now, thankfully, I have an authentic and delicious answer to that question. The Kringle. I ordered a slice of the Almond Kringle in the glass case without even knowing what it was; it looked somewhat like a flat croissant. Pictures cannot do this pastry justice. Biting into revealed a complex arrangement of textures. The pastry was flaky and the almond filling was sweet and creamy, but not overwhelming. The entire pastry was infused with the toastiness of almonds, one of my favorite flavors. My only complaint was that it was over too soon. 

I had arrived at DPH this morning with the intention of catching up on some reading over coffee and ended up discovering a new type of food! I look forward to experiencing more that the Danes have to offer.

Danish Pastry House
330 Boston Ave.
Medford, MA 02155

No comments:

Post a Comment