Sunday, March 13, 2011

Buttermilk Scones


I woke up yesterday morning with hankering. The book from Alice’s Tea Cup was sitting idly by my bed, brimming with delicious recipes, just waiting to be attacked. After my first scone experience from said book I was anxious to try another recipe. And to be completely honest about things, the buttermilk in my fridge expired on that very day. Is that disgusting? Because I don’t really care all that much. One time I ate expired tofu, and that turned out to be a bad idea, but I wasn’t too worried about the buttermilk.
Anyways, this recipe was simple, no frills. It was a plain, savory scone. Carrie woke up just as I was putting the scones in the oven, and we both stood in the warm kitchen drinking coffee and waiting for the timer to go off. 

I decided to make a smaller batch this time. Smaller batch, for my small house, and a smaller pant size? Anyways, I was thinking that it would let me try more varieties with less materials and less waste.
They came out of the oven and we barely waited for them to cool before splitting them open to eat. We both had the same method, raspberry jam on one half, I Can’t Believe it’s Not Butter (can you?!?!) on the other. Perfection. Plain, yes, but bland? No! To me, it was like a scrumptious breakfast biscuit. With a handful of ingredients and easy preparation, I would make these any day. 

Buttermilk Scones
3 cups all purpose flour
 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter, melted
3/4 cup buttermilk
 (I halved the recipe to only get 4 big scones)
 Mix dry ingredients. 
Make well, pour buttermilk and melted butter into the dry. 
Mix gently from the outside in with hands. 
Make 1 1/2 inch thick rectangle on floured board, cut into pieces. 
Bake at 425 F for 13 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. sad that i didn't get to try these ones, but the cherry chocolate one might be the best scone ive ever had.

    ReplyDelete