Sunday, April 24, 2011

Fennel and Orange Salad


In honor of Easter when ovens far and wide are stuffed full of ham and potatoes, I thought I would post a recipe that was a little on the lighter side. This is a salad that is haute enough for company and simple enough to whip up for a quick dinner.
While most people don’t have fennel bulbs laying around their houses, all the other ingredients are likely to be on hand.
The first step is to pick a fennel bulb. I had no idea what one should look for in a fennel bulb, (Mom, why did you not cover this when you were teaching me to knock on melons?) so I picked the one with the cutest tufts of leaves. 
Oh hello, little fennel.
When you get home put your bulb on the counter and take pictures of it, admiring how cute it is.
Then get down to business. Remove the hard outer layers of the bulb. (Again, I have no idea what I was doing here, I just figured that hard outer part wouldn’t be very good in my salad so I tossed it.) The inner layers of the bulb will be more moist and it will be easier to slice thin. Lay the bulb on its side and shave thin layers off the bulb. The key point here is to have a large sharp knife. The thinner the better for the shaved fennel, the anise flavor is intense and can be overwhelming if the pieces are too large.
Next, slice an orange into thin segments. However you want to go about this is up to you. I simply peeled the orange into the segments and then sliced each segment in half lengthwise so the flesh was revealed. 
 In a bowl stir together the red wine vinegar, olive oil, sugar, and orange zest. Toss the fennel, orange slices, and dried cranberries in the bowl to coat. Plate and serve.
The vinegar dressing takes the bite off of the strong, anise flavored fennel. I would imagine this dish would be great if it was prepared in advance and given time to marinate.  
Fennel and Orange Salad
1 fennel bulb
1 orange
2 tablespoons dried cranberries
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon olive oil
½ teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon orange zest

13 comments:

  1. that looks so good!
    I absolutely love fennel...I've never bought it and prepared it myself though! Thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely looks like a light and refreshing recipe. I love the addition of cranberries. Hope you had a nice Easter :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very refreshing! I've made a similar salad over greens - but I guess there's really no need for that :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never had fennel in a salad (that I can think of) and even though I can only imagine what it tastes like, your pictures are making me crave it!!! I'm going to use your professional fennel picking skills/tips when I buy fennel too because I've never bought it, and I like the way you did it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't had fennel in a long time - maybe I will have to give it another try:) This salad does look very light and refreshing! THanks for the sweet comment over at my blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How pretty! This is definitely an "impress company" kind of meal. Looks great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. mm looks tasty!
    I am hosting a linky party at my blog called A Themed Baker's Sunday! Where the theme is LEMONS!!! I would love it if you joined! I'm uber excited to see what you have in store!!
    http://cupcakeapothecary.blogspot.com/2011/04/themed-bakers-sunday-2.html
    Alyssa

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love fennel and citrus together... this is definitely good timing for a dish like this. I just mixed leftover Easter ham into some baked mac and cheese -- not the healthiest way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this deliciously healthy salad and it's so quick and easy to pull too. I make a similar one when the November-February tangerine harvest season is on in my garden, and we always enjoy the lovely complementary flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a perfect light salad to accompany an Easter or any spring meal!

    ReplyDelete
  11. bold combination ... and got something nice

    ReplyDelete
  12. i am not sure how to pick fennel either... you will have to let me know when you master that!

    looks gorgeous- a great summer salad!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds absolutely wonderful and PERFECT for summer. I love orange salads.

    ReplyDelete